Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Stop Animal Abuse

I always get so excited when I hear stories of justice. It's an amazing feeling to catch stories about animal cruelty on the radio or news of a suspect being charged. It's a glorifying moment until you hear their sentence; "3 months probation along with a $100.00 fee, and not allowed to own animals during their probation period". DURING THEIR PROBATION PERIOD? How about for as long as their filthy, low life, disrespecting body exists on this earth? I think that would suit much better. I feel that social media plays a HUGE part in exposing animal cruelty along with aiding the search for the perpetrator(s). When the first post went out of the Mama Petunia reward flyer, it was shared over 300,000 times. That is incredible. 300,000 people helped us try to find her abuser(s). I agree with most regarding our laws or lack of strict laws, they are not harsh enough. The abuse of animals isn't a random act. Dog fighting is a premeditated act of cruelty that is thoughtfully and strategically planned out. Someone who breaks the legs of a puppy because he went potty in the house isn't someone who is a stable individual. And someone who burns a pregnant dog with boiling water or chemicals who shows then shows no sense of remorse should not be allowed to be part of our functioning society. There are numerous studies about these people who commit these acts of cruelty as children. They start by burning ants, pulling apart insects and it gradually escalates to torture of our most precious creatures. I truly believe Michael Vick is a sociopath. Someone who gains enjoyment from the barbaric act of dog fighting is a mentally ill person. At the same turn, I also believe that dog fighting and cock fighting is cultural. Children grow up watching their parents commit these acts and become desensitized to it. They are no educated and they are never taught that they should respect God's creatures. I wish I could remember my childhood education regarding animals. I have many memories of collecting caterpillars, feeding feral cats, setting spiders free when they found their way into the house and I cried every time I went to the zoo or any animal establishment. Who taught me that being kind to animals was the right thing to do? Are we predispositioned with this trait? Or did I learn it from watching others around me? I have a memory as a child. I was around 5 or 6. We had a neighbor who tied their Collies in the middle of their yard, rain or shine, snow or exhausting heat, their Collies were stuck with no where to go. My dad would repeatedly jump the fence to cut their chains. It didn't serve much purpose but it allowed them to roam the yard in search of shelter. Maybe this is where I learned to be compassionate. Anyways, back to my thoughts about our laws. I firmly believe that if we would stone people in public or allow us to torment them in the same ways they inflicted pain on our creatures we would see less and less animal abuse. I was happy to hear that they have a "person of interest" in the Puppy Doe case. Her tongue was slit, she had multiple abrasions and burns; I guarantee her abuser would re-think his act if he knew his tongue would also be split. I think there is something to say about an eye for an eye. The same goes for the sick disturbed individuals who abuse, rape and create horror against our youth. I will never be able to understand what goes through an individuals mind as they inflict suffering. How can the grueling sounds that exit an animals body when it is in pain or being tortured not be enough to stop? It's a scary thought to know we walk among these people daily. It's so important to our animals that we be their voice. If you see it, report it. If you see a petition floating around social media, sign it. We are getting stronger. Social media is helping us create awareness. Even if it’s only a blurb, news anchors are supporting us with airing our stories. One day, we our persistence and courageous battle forward, something will change. PS. This dog was rescued..Animal Rescue Corps (printed on the photo)

No comments: