Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Aflatoxin recall Iams dog food | The Daily Tail | Dog & Cat Stories

Aflatoxin recall Iams dog food The Daily Tail Dog & Cat Stories
Aflatoxin recall Iams dog food
by Daniela Caride,
on December 6,2011
A couple of weeks ago, we published a chart with the codes of Iams pet food
that, rumor said, was being recalled because of high levels of aflatoxin. Iams
denied the recall, which later was identified as a “product pull” that one of
the distributors mistakenly leaked to the outside world. (A product pull is, as
I understand, what a company does when it pulls the product from shelves before
it’s sold to the public.)
But now it’s official — The incident has become a recall. Procter &
Gamble announced today it is retrieving a lot of dry dog food due to aflatoxin
levels detected above the acceptable limit. According to the company, the Iams
ProActive Health Smart Puppy dry dog food has already been retrieved from store
shelves, and no illnesses have been reported in association with this production
lot to date. But you can have one of those bags at home. The affected product
lot was distributed to retailers in the eastern United States (AL, CT, DE, FL,
GA, LA, MD, ME, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, SC, VA). So, please check the codes on
your bags if you buy Iams dog food.
Here are the details about the product affected by this

Product Name
Code Date
UPC Code
Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy dry dog foodwith Use By or Expiration
Dates of February 5 or February 6, 2013
7.0 lb bag
8.0 lb bag
17.5 lb bag
If you purchased the Iams Smart Puppy listed above, stop using the product
and discard it immediately. For more information or refund, contact P&G
toll-free at 866-908-1569 (Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST)
Aflatoxin occurs from the growth of Aspergillus flavus and can be
harmful to pets if consumed in significant quantities. Some of the symptoms your
pet can show from aflatoxin poisoning are…
reluctance to eat
yellowish tint to the eyes or gums
If your dog has any of those symptoms and is eating this food,
please take him to the vet immediately. Aflatoxin poisoning can be

No comments: