Friday, March 9, 2012

Copper and Bailey's story
Written by Melanie Elmore (Mississippi, U.S.A.)
Published on: February 28th, 2012

Our whole pack!

It was a particulary hot day on April 30, 2009. My mother and I were running errands when we made a quick stop at a small shopping center. I sat in the car as my mom went inside the store. As I was looking out the car window, I spotted something moving on the side walk about 20 feet from my car. Then I saw something else. After about thirty seconds, I realized what I was looking at. I got out of my car and rushed over to find two tiny little puppies and a tipped over laundry basket, along with an empty water bowl. I immediately scooped them up and checked to make sure that they were ok. My mom came out of the store and I called her over. Of course, she was as enthralled with them as I was. She went into the nail salon which I found them in front of and spoke with the lady inside. The lady came out and informed us that her son gave the puppies to her, but she didn't know what to do with them so we could do what we wanted with them.

It was about 85 degrees outside and these puppies were left in a parking lot about 30 feet from an extremely busy street. I never put them down, and I don't think that anyone could have pried them from my arms at that point. My mom and I looked at each other and made an unspoken decision that those puppies were coming with us.

We got in the car and told each other that we would take them home and find good homes for them when they got a little older. They weighed about 3 lbs. One was a little brindle girl and the other a copper colored little boy. We took them immediately to the vet, who gave them there first shots and estimated them to be about 10 weeks old. They were malnourished, but the vet said that vitamins and good food should do the trick.

We brought them home and introduced them to our four (yes four) Basset Hounds. It took the Bassets about 2 days to completely adopt them into their pack.

We posted an ads at the vet clinic, on petfinder, and at the local humane society. About a week later, the phone rang. Someone was interested in one of the puppies. My heart absolutely sank... and, almost instinctively I said, "They've already found a home! Thanks for calling!!" A couple of days later, after we decided that there was no possible way that we could let these babies go, my mom admitted to me that she received a similar call. I named the little girl Bailey and the little boy Copper.

Today, they are almost three years old and happy, healthy 25 lb dogs. We're not sure on their breeds, we just know that they fit into our pack perfectly. We rescued a little beagle mix named Lizzie in September '11 so now we have seven pups in our pack and we wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: