Great article by Compassion In Action for Animals
The Dangers of ‘Free To Good Home’ Ads
- Why do they want to adopt the pet? (As a companion, guard dog, mouser, etc)
- If they have other pets, do they get along with the type of pet they’re interested in adopting?
- Where they intend to keep the pet (inside or out)?
- If a dog will be outside, do they have a fenced yard or will it be chained or running at large?
- Where will the pet sleep?
- How many hours a day will it be left alone? Where will it be kept during this time?
- Are they willing to return the animal to you if it doesn’t work out?
- If you see a Free To Good Home ad, contact the person running the ad and alert them to the dangers of these ads.
- Ask your local newspaper to print a warning about the dangers of such ads.
- Write letters to the editors of local papers, informing readers of the dangers of Free To Good Home ads.