Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Joys Of Fostering

Today we have a beautiful lab mix sharing our home as we foster her for a month. My family loves to foster animals as it is a great way to help an animal out and see what different dogs are like to live with. We spoil them to death and this dog is no exception. She was adopted out by this shelter when she was 12 weeks old and she was just found as a stray two weeks ago. They have been trying to contact her family but all their numbers are out of date so they sent a certified letter. In the meantime this poor doll baby who is now 7 years old tested positive to heartworms. She had her two heartworm treatments at a vet animal hospital and was released to our family to foster her to be in a quiet environment while she recuperates. As some of you know heartworm treatments can kill a dog if they get excited or active ( even jumping, running or climbing stairs can kill them while they recover). She slept with Rick last night and is being smothered with love by my family. I have to admit I like the old gal myself. She is so smart and knows numerous commands. She is housebroken, extremely gentle and so loving. It is so much fun to open your house to a animal in need of some tender loving care by fostering.We'd like to share another story on fostering with you from a rescue friend:
"I've got my own rescued girl from Stray Rescue (by the way an amazing organization here in St. Louis). She was my 2nd foster & it was love at 1st sight. Took her home to "foster her" & just fell in love........she's 3 times the dog I'm supposed to have in my condo but dad is my landlord & no one complains bcz she's so awesome. She's a walking PR tool for Stray Rescue & rescued dogs in general. Every time someone stops to pet her or compliment me on what a beautiful girl Kia is I tell them she's a rescue....and depending upon how long they'll listen I start my spiel about rescue dogs. She's also my significant other. Kia actually has been to some of the 1st puppy mill protests at the Shrewbury VFW hall last winter. She was a walking example of a gorgeous, adjusted and loving shelter dog. They were selling Husky pups inside the hall which made me sick. Kia is a Husky. She went from an underweight, crying big baby at Stray Rescue's shelter to the "Queen of my Condo". I will attach a pix of her on her "thrown". This is from a wonderful women named Linda who is passionate about dogs and trying to help get them out of awful situations like puppy mills." She is one of those unsung hero's who has worked hours upon hours trying to educate the public on how dogs are treated in puppy mills. Here's to Kia & her loving owner and to all the wonderful dogs adopted from shelters.....

No comments: