Just what is a puppy mill?
A puppy mill is . . . .
- A dirty, trashy place where one or several breeds of dogs are kept in deplorable conditions with little or no medical care and puppies are always available?
- Any high-volume kennel?
- A clean place where several breeds of dogs are raised in adequate conditions and the breeder usually or always has puppies for sale?
- A place where a single breed of dog is raised in acceptable conditions and puppies are usually or often available?
- A place where lots of dogs are raised, where breeding is done solely for financial gain rather than protection of breed integrity, and where puppies are sold to brokers or to pet stores?
- Pet dealers who import, buy, sell, trade or transport pets in wholesale channels;
- Pet breeders who breed for the wholesale trade, whether for selling animals to other breeders or selling to brokers or directly to pet stores or laboratories; and
- Laboratory animal dealers, breeders, bunchers, auction operators and promoters of contests in which animals are given as prizes.
- Hobby breeders who sell directly to pet stores are exempt from licensing if they gross less than $500 per year and if they own no more than three breeding females.